Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Shout out to the summertime! (Rescinded)

As surprising as the past three days of the summer were for the NYC area, the return to 65F weather on the east coast is a relief. I don't like summer (except for the vacation part); I don't like to sweat.

Before I forget, a quick thank you to all the organizers of the AAA on Oberlin College's campus! Juli, Truc, Eric, Mariko, Tuyet, Chloe, Tim, Daniel, the Saras, and their program coordinator, Domenico, really did a great job of hosting me! I'm so glad that we were able to write an impromptu piece together on a Monday night, and I hope you all have me back soon. (Please send photos!). Thanks for also teaching me all sorts of things about The 'Sco.

Also, there were posters of me and Joseph Legaspi peppered around Oberlin's campus; I plan to send an extra copy, autographed, to my biffle, Helene, because she'll find it funny.

Though I've never stopped and stayed in Ohio, I came across people who reminded me that the world is very small - folks linked somehow to my group of friends back homej every metropolis becomes the great unifier.

Flying over Newark International Airport from Cleveland yesterday only reinforced the tether binding me to my beloved New Jersey: I rep hard. Now, I've never lived outside the bustle of a city, and never appreciated the seductive space of the alternative whenever I was a guest. I am attracted to filth, noise, and small spaces. The grime, sirens, and comfort of anything like a cubicle meant to serve as living quarters. I am comforted knowing that outside, there is a fresh produce stand (operated by the same Korean family since I was a kid,) a train to NY, pizza slices, and people wandering around at all hours of night and day. Some people call this "living in the ghetto." I call it "liking home."

There isn't much to reconcile.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

hanaleihanalei.com

Quick Bio

Hanalei Ramos is a very nice person and a stereotypical aquarius. FACT: while it is a common misconception that “aquarius, the water bearer” is a water sign, it is not. It is actually an air sign! Other than that, she is a proud founding member of Filipinas for Rights and Empowerment, a mass-based organization for Filipinas in the NYC area. Hanalei has also toured around the country as a performer and is the author of Foiled Stars, Letters to Martha, and the one-woman show, Guns and Tampons: A History of Violence Against Women I Know. Hanalei currently lives and works in her native Jersey City, NJ. For more information about her, please visit www.hanaleihanalei.com

Hanalei's Google Reader