visit me: hanaleihanalei.org
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Monday, June 15, 2009
Your Result: New Soul
Fresh from the source, you are essentially pure, not given to corruption of self. Instead you feel the kindship of souls, no matter the age. You prefer to unify, to gather others around you to learn from them and to experience a life of joy with them. Beauty is a natural hue of all things, as seen through your eyes, and rarely do you pass severe judgement on others. You are very attuned to the physical, amazed by the power of sensuality and its effect on your senses. People can be confused when you move on to someone new, unaware you are simply free in spirit, not needing the anchors others do. You drink from the fountain of the Earth, enjoying the outdoors, the seasons, the abundance of life, and the passage of days into nights. Music vibrates your soul, and art is a kaleidoscope of visual sensation. Food delights you and friendship is more important than the clothes on your back. You sometimes feel people are cruel but want to forgive them, as you know something in them isn't right. You are often mistaken for an old soul, but you don't feel very old at all! New souls are gifts to the other souls, a reminder that goodness exists naturally and that we all can return to it, even after all the experiences that seem to trample it into dust. We are souls, on a very long journey of becoming.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Please support this film! Boy, the movie was coproduced by my uncle. He and his crew have been working really hard the last couple of months to promote the film, and enter it into various festivals all over the world. I haven't seen it yet, but it addresses issues of LGBTQQI issues in the Filipino community, and to be frank, we need more dialogue around this in our community! Please check below for a screening near you! The official site: http://boythemovie.com/
I was able to head to the gorgeous that is Montego Bay with bff since age 12, ms. femmedeluxe/Lisa, and I cannot wait to return! The Carribean is beautiful and sooooooooooo clean, a far cry from the scummy gray of the Hudson River. I didn't have a camera (I find it annoying to carry one around,) so as soon as she posts up photos. But I don't know what we'll have to share, other than our skin becoming progrssively darker as the days went by. I have a new found love for ATVing (we drove to the top of Mt. Zion and saw some of the community there) and we climbed Dunn's River Falls (while touristy, was really fun.) The rest of our days were spent lounging about by the beach, and taking photos of our knees against the shoreline.
I'm gonna rub aloe gel over my sunburns now.
Monday, June 8, 2009
Friday, June 5, 2009
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Please forward far and wide!
The Sulu Series proudly presents:
@ Bowery Poetry Club ( http://www.myspace.com/
308 Bowery (Between Houston & Bleecker St.)
F train to 2nd Ave, 6 to Bleecker
The APIA Spoken Word and Poetry Summit is a gathering of spoken word artists, poets, writers, musicians, thespians, activists, organizers, and artists throughout the world who convene based on the commonality of their Asian American, Asian, and/or Pacific Islander identity. Since 2001, the Summit has gathered every two years in different cities across the United States, and engages in workshops, performances, and discussions directed toward the upliftment of the APIA arts and activism community. The proceeds from the June SULU Series will benefit the 2009 APIA Spoken Word and Poetry Summit taking place in the San Francisco Bay Area. Please visit http://apiasummit.com/ for more information.
Featured artists include KOBA, Elijah Kuan Wong, Regie Cabico, Jenny Lares, Juan Kanagui, Justin Woo, Lolan Buhain Sevilla, Taiyo Na, YaliniDream, Marlon Unas Esguerra, Ed Menchavez, Kelly Tsai, and Magnetic North! Guest curated by Hanalei Ramos, and music by DJ BOO!
Friday, May 29, 2009
Below, I've shared some of the photos which have emerged from the Facebook tags, and they're incredibly adorable. I am excited to be one of their official marriage witnesses (I signed a legal document and everything!) and their retired maid of honor. The wedding was really cute and easy going - polaroids taken, guitar picks handed out, open bar, and lisa making folks look GORGEOUS on the big day.
Binky and I have known each other since we were 15, and due to that history, I would safely say that she is the only person for whom I'd wear pink 12 hours straight. The wedding Binky and Anthony planned was gorgeous, and in an amazingly dramatic space - with the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges as backdrops - everything was beautiful!
(Now, back to watching Teen Witch! Richie has always looked weird as hell to me.)
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Sunday, May 24, 2009
I gave my first Maid of Honor speech in the history of ever. (Uhm. It was a bit half assed, though; I had to compete with some fairly delicious dining fare while doing the damn thing.) I'll wait for photos to talk more about the wedding itself, but the venue was gorgeous and the ceremony was so relaxed and casual. Big ups to the loves of my life for the day: Gates and Darius for being such fantastic support staff at the Galapagos Arts Center! Hope to see your kind faces again, soon!
Otherwise, it was an incredible honor being a part of this wedding. To see those two get married, my god! I got the jealousies (not really, but kinda!) I got the ill case of the warmfuzzies seeing old and new friends. Over delicious, delicious steaks. The photos shall surface soon on the facebooks. Watch out, I am rocking pink. Anyway, here's the acoustic slow jam version of that sad ass song.
However, in celebrating love, my family and I are also mourning the loss of my Lolo Abe, who passed away during yesterday's wedding. It's been a tumultuous time for my heart, and I've cried some of it out. Lolo Abe, my grandmother's brother, lived in Jersey City, and we hardly saw him until he was diagnosed with cancer within the last six months. He was so vibrant when I saw him last October - unfortunately, for the funeral of his daughter - that compared to these final days, it was pretty apparent that the disease had worn away his spirit. To say I will miss him is an understatement, only to pale in comparison to the deep regret I feel for not having seen him more often.
I need to use the rest of the day to be amazingly still and silent.
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Friday, May 22, 2009
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
The IndioBravo Film Foundation is proud to present the first annual IndioBravo Filipino Film Festival on June 11-14, 2009 in New York City, showcasing the boldest and most internationally acclaimed works by Filipino filmmakers in recent years.
Opening night takes place Thursday, June 11, at the Museum of Modern Art (11 West 53rd Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues) with the North American premiere of Baler, a historical, romantic epic which swept awards at the 2008 Metro Manila Film Festival, and 100, winner of audience and best film awards at festivals in Pusan, Korea and Vesoul, France. (Click here for full schedule.)
The festival continues Friday to Sunday, June 12-14, at the Visual Arts Theater in Chelsea, 333 West 23rd Street between 8th and 9th Avenues in New York City.
CENTERPIECE FILM: Screening Friday, June 12 is the magnificent Foster Child by Brillante Mendoza, director of 2008's internationally acclaimed art-house hit Serbis.
SPECIAL SCREENING: Also screening Friday is Lav Diaz' bold, 8-hour drama Melancholia, winner of the Venice International Film Festival's 2008 Orrizonti (Horizons) Award for best feature. This special screening takes place at the Millennium Film Work Shop, 66 East 4th Street between Bowery and Second Avenues.
CLOSING NIGHT: On Sunday, June 14, Indio Bravo is proud to screen Jay, an uproarious satire of reality television and an official entry in the Venice International Film Festival of 2008. The festival concludes with an awards ceremony and reception at the Visual Arts Theater at 8 p.m.
OTHER HIGHLIGHTS: Other notable titles include Donsol, an elegaic love story set in an idyllic resort town; Carnivore, about a harrowing fraternity initiation; the animated Dayo, about a young boy's journey to save his abducted grandparents; the romantic comedy and box office smash My Only U, and the genre-busting mockumentary Confessional. IBFF '09 also features Ishmael Bernal's 1983 masterpiece, Himala (Miracle), named in a 2008 CNN viewers' poll as the best Asian-Pacific film of all time.
TICKETS: On sale Friday, May 1. Tickets for all screenings (except opening night) are $12.50 until May 29, and $15 after May 29. Available for sale online at www.indiobravo.org.
OPENING NIGHT: Tickets for opening-night screenings on Thursday, June 11 (Baler and 100) are $20 each in advance, $25 at the door and include an after-party at plush lounge Nikki Beach, 151 East 50th Streets between Lexington and Third Avenues, featuring Mylene Dizon, star of 100, and other stars of this year's film lineup. Tickets available at www.indiobravo.org.
VIP RECEPTION: A private reception and screening for industry executives and members of the media will take place on Thursday, May 28 at the SoHo House, a members-only club in Manhattan's Meatpacking District. Contact Caroline Cruz, email@example.com.
PRESS: General-market U.S. press—Angelo Ragaza, firstname.lastname@example.org, 917-705-9572.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
12 + 2 + 1982 = 1996
1 + 9 + 9 + 6 = 25
2 + 5 = 7
Your Birth Number :7
7’s are the searchers. Always probing for hidden information, they find it difficult to accept things at face value. Emotions don’t sway their decisions. Questioning everything in life, they don’t like to be questioned themselves. They’re never off to a fast start, and their motto is slow and steady wins the race. They come across as philosophers and being very knowledgeable, and sometimes as loners. They are technically inclined and make great researchers uncovering information. They like secrets. They live in their own world and should learn what is acceptable and what not in the world at large.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
--- will be celebrating her 70th birthday on June XXth this year. To mark
this milestone in her life, I am creating a biographical photobook for her,
containing photos from way, way back. I have also invited selected friends,
classmates and relatives who have had a positive influence in her life to
contribute a personal message for her. I requested them to send in their
favourite photos that will be printed with the message.
If you would like to join the well-wishers, please send me your message and
photo within the next seven days. I am working on a tight deadline, as the
printers require at least ten days production time.
This is meant as a surprise for ---, so, if by any chance, you will
communicate with her before her birthday, please do not say a word about this.
Warmest regards to all.
HOW CUTE IS THAT?
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
- i am grateful for this work issued laptop with a videocam.
- knowing that the moral highground is always the answer
- hugging val
- talking about using the unknown practical uses of the confederate flag with stephen
- loving jilla over something served with bagoong
- cat and fam in jersey city
- cat's niece being ridiculously cute
- time with my own family this past weekend
- people i love finding happiness in love right in time for spring
- knowing that my sisters will be home soon
- redbull fruit punch
- seeing kimmie in her wifey/2nd home
- writing letters
- journaling again
- cool, sunny days
- knowing how to trace IPs
- WP 08 sorta worked! (1 year later.)
- i have a hard time saying it, but really loving and appreciating my mom
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
- being able to admit when i am wrong.
- a window into the cracked heat of summer.
- a return of old friends.
- spinach and goat cheese.
- making my way to Ohio.
- things coming naturally to me.
- my friends wanting to help.
- becoming more comfortable with myself fin silence.
- the return of newer loves.
- reacquiring my right mind.
- lulu's extended visit.
- seeing my high school best friend grow slowly into her soon to be married life.
- jamaica with lisa.
- difficult conversations off the task list.
- 90s music mixes.
- val's support through difficult conversations.
- good hugs.
- redefining excess so that it does not mean security.
- being able to see people as perfect
- crying with lulu at the end of NOTORIOUS. (yeah, i'll own that.)
- cat growing into her new home.
- having a carved out place in cat's couch.
- irma the wedding crasher.
- reinvigorating myself in all the work i need to do.
- the excitement found in the potential of new goals.
- breaking in the cold sheets of a hotel bed.
- realizing i love hotel rooms.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
I love crushes! <3
With the complications of love as an adult, it's the only subject where I wish I could return to that simpler time when things were sweet, exciting, and accidental.
Heeeee heee! He wants to ask her to a "romantic dinner." SO CUTE!
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
"I just found my new Michael Cera."
"I really wanted him to pay for my meal. I'm a ho."
"We can't meet up and be terminal buddies."
"Sorry for the last 4 messages. There is a poltergeist. On my phone."
- stolen from Helene.
But I promise to have funnier ones in the next round.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
Before I forget, a quick thank you to all the organizers of the AAA on Oberlin College's campus! Juli, Truc, Eric, Mariko, Tuyet, Chloe, Tim, Daniel, the Saras, and their program coordinator, Domenico, really did a great job of hosting me! I'm so glad that we were able to write an impromptu piece together on a Monday night, and I hope you all have me back soon. (Please send photos!). Thanks for also teaching me all sorts of things about The 'Sco.
Also, there were posters of me and Joseph Legaspi peppered around Oberlin's campus; I plan to send an extra copy, autographed, to my biffle, Helene, because she'll find it funny.
Though I've never stopped and stayed in Ohio, I came across people who reminded me that the world is very small - folks linked somehow to my group of friends back homej every metropolis becomes the great unifier.
Flying over Newark International Airport from Cleveland yesterday only reinforced the tether binding me to my beloved New Jersey: I rep hard. Now, I've never lived outside the bustle of a city, and never appreciated the seductive space of the alternative whenever I was a guest. I am attracted to filth, noise, and small spaces. The grime, sirens, and comfort of anything like a cubicle meant to serve as living quarters. I am comforted knowing that outside, there is a fresh produce stand (operated by the same Korean family since I was a kid,) a train to NY, pizza slices, and people wandering around at all hours of night and day. Some people call this "living in the ghetto." I call it "liking home."
There isn't much to reconcile.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Monday, April 13, 2009
- for being able to be honest with myself (even if it is coming up gradually.)
- for irma's cable.
- seeing old school KAWS written up in jersey city.
- for accepting that i am a creative person.
- for krystle and prince
- particularly, "Pop Life"
- sara's genuine hugs.
- an email from joseph.
- sharing ice cream with my kasamas.
- hanging out with therese.
- faces that remind me of old flames.
- not lying.
- turns out, i like the number 12.
- hanging out in front of my house in a parked car for another 40 minutes with a friend who needed an ear.
- the hasty opportunities where life reminds me that i am myself.
- the opportunity to karaoke.
- being sad and being real about it.
- people who think my name is pretty, and will tell me so right at introduction.
- randomly calling people we miss, because we miss them.
- the cold putting me in my place.
- knowing that this place is what i love
- always repping hard.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Monday, April 6, 2009
- seeing my sister, kylene, in LA
- seeing the amazing growth in people during such a teeny amount of time
- reconciling with two cities that broke my heart
- "a muffin is not a fruit"
- being good at being a good
- running into vicki by accident (again! and again!)
- being able to be vulnerable in front of my friends, peers, strangers
- checking my own subjectivities; not being judgmental of people i care about
- the generosity of people like apollo, jesse, bev t., cisco, bev b., gary, gayle, edward, and jeannie. (who have all looked out for me, hosted me, or fed me.)
- having an entire week with my kasamas - new and old
- the opportunity to miss people
- irma finding a job she really likes!
- people who think i'm funny. (that is good. many people make a life out of trying to get a laugh.)
- real exchanges with people, even on blackberry messenger
- the beautiful, new AAI space
- being affirmed as a writer
- settling things with my webpage host
- selling chapbooks
- being able to return to Philly, and perform excerpts from my life there
- seeing a babyful belly on someone i know
- a gorgeous and raw loft studio space
- a good time to laugh with kelly and vicki
- bekhyon liking my work (which means a lot, since i really admire his brand of ridiculous.)
- the summit fundraiser en route to being real!
- seeing my hood ass boys in LA, and recreating a dynamic that reminds us where we are from.
- binky's wedding approaching!
- seeing old friends
- wedding shopping: OVER!
- miniature golf with sham and h
- giving up the right things
- being able to have friends in many places
- having the ability to go to these places
- people choosing to have me as a friend in their lives
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
- open arms and open homes everytime i stop to take a break
- having good people process with me
- sleeping late
- safely making it to Los Angeles
- reunions with people i love dearly
- my mom being supportive of my crazy.
- really loving my mom, and knowing i do not show it very often
- fully refundable domains
- how there is always good food in my life
- uncle carlos being infinitely generous and kind to me
- having a large family
- enjoying my work, no matter how many times you've already heard it
- how i appreciate strategy
- reflection always welcomed
- being a "good" kind of smart
always have wonderful food experiences with lainey! this is a photo she took of me while i was tweeting. i am impressed with the crazy blur of my thumbs!
in los angeles with fantastic company; i actually like it this time!
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
that this movement is growing int he hearts of people.
for my friend, stephen, who has continued to choose me in his life.
i am grateful for sandy and waterfalls.
for being trusted
for people who believe in my work.
for irma's birthday
for the internet and catherine being a good house guest
for wide, flat surfaces used for crafting
for the friendships we pass onto other people
for the push to get it together
for being excited
for getting gigs.
Sunday, March 8, 2009
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Sunday, March 1, 2009
2) that my girl irma will now share LA with us; possibly mel, too
3) a really kind note from marcusbarkus
4) a gorgeous rendition of the vagina monologues by people i love and admire
5) accepting opportunities to engage people in art making; making art again for myself and the movement i love
6) the kindness of kasamas; picking me up from the airport, and allowing me to stay in their homes
7) knowing that on an upcoming wednesday night, i will be dancing to dancehall with yanyan
8) the kindness of people like lori, who want to do as much as she can for FiRE. similarly, people who travel through 4 states just to let us know that the work we are doing is important
9) jesse's return from the Philippines, and it ending with lunch and his stories of his first time home
10) singapore noodles and bacon avocado sandwiches
11) ria mae's parents wanting to meet me
12) not freaking out over lost cars, or using it as an opportunity to be mean to people
13) ate virginia asking to take a photo with me
14) seeing PF clean and gorgeous
15) jill's schedule and my schedule finally colliding
16) tearing up with val and irma when the striker all stars were booted off ABDC during the recap marathon.
17) celebrating kourtney on her belated bday
18) my friends forgiving me for being away, and reminding me that they value the time they do have with me
19) the potential of skype!
20) my high school network proving to be very valuable in my adult life
21) lunch with cling and yancy, and driving back to NJ with matthew and jonna, too!
22) binky's invites ALMOST DONE!
23) AB taking the time to support us, and provide us with volunteers
24) feeling good because people think I do good work
25) IT IS MARCH!
26) being able to sing with anthony for sarah's book launch, and see old faces there
27) hearing joseph talk about sarah so sweetly!
28) the surprise i feel when people who i thought disliked me, really liked me
Monday, February 23, 2009
That history of the Philippines in a nutshell is surprisingly accurate for a mainstream cable show! Really want a version of a ingredients market locally! That would be stellar. But that food tour guide is a bit on the people pleasing side...
I still cannot eat goat. Or lamb. Or any of those animals til this day. It just seems awful, and then Bourdain just picks at it like that. WOW.
I looooooove outdoor kitchens! But I hate knowing that Tita got dressed up hard for the taping.
Bourdain is not so much a jerk as originally thought!
BUT "Uncle Tony?" And monkey-wrench! Augusto isn't 20 or something?
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
In the last year and a half, I've taken a quick break from developing my own creative work to focus more energy in supporting the growth of the women's organization I co-founded. Above are just some of the ladies who have really challenged me to grow as a person. As someone who has had a history of unhealthy friendships with females, being a part of this collective has been a tremendously positive turning point. For that, I am grateful. To know what I am up to is to know my organization, so you should visit this site. Please support us and the NYC Filipina community!
Also, I turn 27 sometime next week, so please expect a whole verbose and vain entry about myself and change and revelation and blah blah blahhhh.
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
- ▼ June (10)
- Binky's wedding
- this really appeals to me.
- what a weekend!
- if i haven't shared this already....
- gorgeous out!
- The Filipino Film Fest!
- 7 and 7. Pretty true!
- we have bev.
- My granduncle's email:
- I love the 80s!
- this is my adorable cousin!
- i love the people in my life.
- thank you to the spring so far for...
- this is so adorable!
- ► April (7)
- ► March (7)
- ► February (8)
- ► 2007 (28)