Saturday, April 21, 2007

My Time in Philly <3

 

This building will be demolished sometime in the next couple of months. A lot of really great things have come out of the Asian Arts Initiative. Its support has been THE element propelling my artistic career, and for that, I am extremely grateful! Thank you so much to Gayle and Gary for all their work and committment to Guns and Tampons. THere really would be no show without either of them.

 

Because I was in Philadelphia, I HAD TO get the BEST falafels EVER. I mean EVER! On the corner of 16th and JFK, on any given weekday from 11 am to about 330 pm, you should go to the KIng of Falafel cart! I still haven't met another falafel capable of matching this one! I went twice this past week. For $3.75 you can get a baby-sized falafel with tabouleh! Ps: do not sleep on the lentil soup!

 

And this was the wonderful rehearsal space lent by Highwire Gallery! Thank you! Just being in this amazing loft space was a treat!


 

And the fruit of a week's worth of labor: my final show order. WOW. IT's just embarrrrrasssingly amazing to know that I have the backing of so many folks who genuinely believe in my work---the constant affirmation that I don't suck as a writer. To have started at 18 with a poem about my broken heart, and now...all this success? I am blessed. As I told Rohan on the drive over to Auburn, who would've thought that I'd be doing a one woman show?

I am a lucky gal.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

hanaleihanalei.com

Quick Bio

Hanalei Ramos is a very nice person and a stereotypical aquarius. FACT: while it is a common misconception that “aquarius, the water bearer” is a water sign, it is not. It is actually an air sign! Other than that, she is a proud founding member of Filipinas for Rights and Empowerment, a mass-based organization for Filipinas in the NYC area. Hanalei has also toured around the country as a performer and is the author of Foiled Stars, Letters to Martha, and the one-woman show, Guns and Tampons: A History of Violence Against Women I Know. Hanalei currently lives and works in her native Jersey City, NJ. For more information about her, please visit www.hanaleihanalei.com

Hanalei's Google Reader